Some say a smile is the first impression you give a stranger. There have even been studies that show that people with straight teeth have better chances of a healthy life. For adults, braces may not be an option the way they are for children and teenagers. In those cases, Invisalign is an excellent alternative. In this post, we’ll show you in quick fashion the basics of adult-friendly aligners. Let’s get cracking.
Table of Contents
What is Invisalign?
- It is a type of orthodontia created from a mold made from your teeth and then combined with a specialized computer program that comes up with the perfect individualized treatment plan that involves several alignment molds that will guide your teeth into a straight position that you will love to see in the mirror.
- Since it is a form of orthodontia, seeing an orthodontist is the best way to get it. They are trained professionals who specialize in teeth alignment and will recommend the best option for you and your teeth.
How Does It Work?
- Once a specialist examines you and determines that it is right for you, he will make the mold and combine it with the computer program. From there, a new mold is made every two weeks, which nudges your teeth into shape.
- You will also meet with your specialist periodically (about every 8 to 10 weeks) to make sure everything is on track. For those who may worry that this method will take longer than braces, the truth is that your teeth move at the same pace no matter what orthodontia you use, and no matter what age you are.
Why Choose Invisalign?
- For adults who are not happy with their smile, this aligner is a much-preferred option to braces, which are common for adolescents but have negative social implications for adults. Many people want straight teeth but their jobs and/or lifestyles do not allow for visible metal and wire in their mouths, which is very understandable.
- It is more expensive than traditional braces, only works for certain issues, and requires care and commitment, but adults who have used it are very happy with their results and the process that led them there. It’s a myth that adult teeth cannot be moved; in fact, teeth are constantly moving. So even if you didn’t have braces when your peers did in middle school, it’s not too late to get the smile you desire.
- Unlike braces, which can create a strong ache in your mouth every month when they are tightened, it is a completely painless and easy process. Since the process is so gradual, there is no pain as the teeth move. In the busy lives that adults have, the last thing you need is a constant pain in your mouth to distract you from everything else you need to get done.
- The aligner needs to be worn at least 22 hours a day, so you can easily take it out for meals and special occasions. This means you can eat whatever you like (unlike with braces, which has restrictions on certain types of food) as long as you brush and floss before replacing the aligner.
- Even when the aligner is in your mouth, the clear material it is made of makes it invisible, so you can easily wear it to work or parties without looking differently than you normally do. This aligner was invented as an alternative for people who for whatever reason did not want or could not have visible orthodontia for their unaligned teeth, and so fits around an adult’s needs and schedule.
Why Bother With Adult Invisalign?
- Invisalign can be expensive, so why spend all that money on it if you are happy enough with your smile? Because teeth move all the time, teeth that are already misaligned will only be more so as time passes. Because the misalignment makes it difficult to brush and floss every crevasse, cavities are more likely to form. Crooked teeth can also cause jaw pain and difficulty in chewing food.
- Some consider veneers to be a viable alternative to misaligned teeth, but while those can help cosmetically, they do not actually fix any oral issues that could become worse over time. Also, certain foods such as coffee, tea, and red wine will stain the veneers, and extra care must be taken not to chip them. If you choose orthodontia, not only will you love your smile but you will also have improved oral health.
- Only 35% of adults have straight front teeth
- 20% of orthodontic patients are over 18 years old
- Invisalign has over a 96% patient satisfaction rate
- The average treatment time is only 1 year
Benefits Over Braces
- You can eat whatever you want.
- You can remove the device when you want or need to
- You can brush and floss your teeth regularly
- The smooth plastic will not irritate your cheeks and gums
- There is a smaller time commitment in regards to office visits
Contact us Today for an Appointment
Nothing is going to change about your smile until you take action. Call today to learn more about what the best orthodontist in Nashville TN can offer you. Enjoy the professional and inviting atmosphere at Gluck Orthodontics as you are welcomed into the office. Dr. Gluck and his staff will strive to make you comfortable and keep you well-informed about all of your orthodontic options.
Remember that your choice to have orthodontic treatment will give you a boost of confidence and make your smile shine. You’ll also be able to have better oral hygiene and avoid problems like TMJ disorders due to a poor bite or misalignment of your teeth. Dr. Gluck is here for you to bring out the best in your smile. Make your appointment today.
- Which tip will you try first???
Either way, let us know by leaving a comment below right now and continue the conversation. Also, link in Twitter over @gluckorthoTN
Gluck Orthodontics – Nashville Orthodontist
2002 Richard Jones Road, Suite A-200 Nashville, TN 37215
Invisalign Braces for Adults | THE QUICKEST GUIDE 2020
Dr. Joel Gluck has practiced orthodontics since 1983 when he opened his own office in Nashville. He earned his undergraduate degree at Washington University in St. Louis, and his dental degree at the University of Tennessee. Dr. Gluck then completed an orthodontic specialty residency at the University of Michigan, one of the top five orthodontic training residencies in the country. He also wrote an original thesis and received a Master of Science degree.