Last Updated on
One major advantage of an Invisalign aligner is that it is “invisible”. Hence, it is important to keep your aligners sparkling clean to maintain this appeal and keep it bacteria and odor free. If your aligner is dirty or discolored, it can be noticed easily by others. Plaque can build up on your aligners just as it can on your teeth, so it is important to clean your aligners every day to prevent build up. Aligner trays are easy to maintain and simple to keep clean.
Here are just a few things to keep in mind:
- Be sure to brush and floss your teeth after every meal. This will help prevent tooth decay and plaque build up on your teeth and aligner.
- Rinse your aligners after each use. This clears out the saliva and residue that can cause bacteria to breed. Bacteria build up will cause your aligners to smell and taste unpleasant.
- Use Invisalign cleaning crystals to soak your aligner trays. This is a manufacturer approved method to thoroughly remove the germs and particles from your aligners. There are other retainer cleaning solutions available on the market, but you should speak to your orthodontist before trying them out to ensure that they will not harm your alignment device.
- Use a soft bristled toothbrush to clean bigger particles and visible debris out of your aligners. Make sure you assign a special toothbrush for this task. Even a little toothpaste left over from regular brushing can cause damage to your aligners.
- Be sure to use a hard case to hold your aligner when it is not in use. This will keep it clean and help you to remember where it is. You would not want to lose it!
- Do not eat or drink anything other than water while wearing your aligner. Colored drinks or food can cause discoloration.
- Do not brush your aligners with toothpaste. The abrasive ingredients in some toothpaste, especially whitening toothpaste, can damage the coating on your aligners and cause scratches. Over time, it will become cloudy and more noticeable to others.
- Do not use denture tablets to clean your aligners. This can cause discoloration.
- Do not use hot or boiling water to clean your aligner. Aligners are heat molded and using hot water can warp the device, rendering it useless.
By following the above suggestions, you can rest assured that your aligner will remain clean, healthy, and odor free. With a fresh, bright smile, you can be confident as you go about your day. If you have questions or are in need of assistance regarding your Invisalign clear aligners, arrange a consultation with your local Brentwood orthodontist, Dr. Gluck, at Gluck Orthodontics.
Gluck Orthodontics – Nashville Orthodontist
2002 Richard Jones Road, Suite A-200 Nashville, TN 37215
Phone: 615 269 5903
Fax: 615 269 5604
How Do I Clean my Invisalign?