Metal braces are the most common type of braces for orthodontic patients. Today’s metal braces are much smaller, thinner, and more comfortable than in the past. Patients of all ages choose metal braces to help them achieve beautiful smiles.
What Braces are Made Of?
Traditional metal braces are made of high quality stainless steel or titanium. The three main parts of your braces are:
- Brackets — Brackets are attached to the teeth using special glue that bonds them to the tooth surface and holds them in place.
- Archwire — The archwire is the thin metal wire that connects each bracket and puts pressure on the teeth to help guide them into place.
- Ligature Elastic — Elastics, or rubber bands, are the colored ties that hold the archwires to the brackets. Your orthodontist will change the elastics at each appointment. Elastics may come in a variety of colors.
How Braces Work
Once placed on your teeth, braces place constant light pressure on your teeth, and the force of the pressure helps move teeth into proper position. At each appointment, your archwires will be adjusted. In addition to braces, some patients may need to wear rubber bands or other appliances to help with bite correction.
Metal Braces for All Ages
Traditional metal braces are still the most popular, quickest, and most cost effective, orthodontic treatment available. Your orthodontist can help you determine what treatment is best for your individual case. Please contact our practice to schedule an appointment and learn more about how braces can enhance your smile.
Having braces doesn’t necessarily require highly noticeable metal brackets and wires. In fact, many of today’s braces are made from either clear or natural tooth-colored materials to provide patients with an attractive, less noticeable alternative to traditional braces. Invisalign and Invisalign Teen for younger patients are the leading clear aligners and an alternative to traditional metal braces.
What is the difference between clear braces and clear aligners?
Clear braces are the same as traditional metal braces except that they are clear! Clear braces are a less noticeable alternative to traditional metal braces and provide patients with an equally effective treatment.
Clear aligners are different from clear braces. Clear aligners are pieces of hard plastic that are designed to fit into your mouth like a mouthguard and are removable for eating and brushing.
What are the advantages and disadvantages to clear braces?
As with any orthodontic treatment, it is important to choose the right option for your needs and lifestyle. Clear braces are a great alternative to traditional metal braces and Dr. Gluck will help you determine whether they are the right treatment for you.
Advantages to clear braces:
- Appearance: Ceramic braces and clear braces are much less noticeable than traditional metal braces. Clear and ceramic braces offer an aesthetic alternative for patients seeking options other than traditional metal braces.
- Confidence: Many patients who choose ceramic or clear braces feel more confident about their orthodontic treatment, especially knowing that people are focusing on their smiles rather than their braces.
Are clear or ceramic braces the right choice for my smile and me?
By talking to Dr. Gluck, you can decide if clear or ceramic braces are the right treatment for you. He can provide answers to your questions and extra information explaining the benefits of each treatment. If you would like to learn more about clear braces, ceramic braces, and all of the options available to you, please contact Gluck Orthodontics and schedule an appointment today.