Although braces are known to improve a person’s smile, they can also cause a mouth ulcer. These ulcers in your mouth are not only annoying, but they can also cause infections since they are open wounds. Even though most infections are usually minor and go away naturally, they can become serious problems if the condition worsens. In this post, we’ll show you the steps to prevent and manage ulcers on your child’s mouth. Let’s get cracking.
How to Prevent Mouth Ulcers
Use Silicon Covers
- Similar to orthodontic wax, silicon covers are designed to ensure that the lips and mouth do not contact the brackets. As a long-lasting solution to preventing mouth ulcers, the brackets should be totally dry before applying the silicone covers.
Rinse and Disinfect
- Most rinses and gels are used to reduce the pain caused by ulcers by forming a strong barrier over the sore areas for several hours. The best rinses and gels can be found at the drugstore. One effective rinse is Rincinol PRN. By consistently rinsing the mouth with this product, the food that your kid consumes is less likely to aggravate the sore spots in his/her mouth. Rinsing the mouth with sage is a Native American remedy that can also promote a clean mouth. Simply mix two teaspoons of sage with 4 ounces of water. Proceed to boil the mixture and then consume after the mixture has cooled for ten minutes.
Brush and Floss
- The cleaner your kid’s mouth, the less likely an ulcer will form. A good way to minimize ulcers and infection is by reducing the chances of bacteria build-up in the mouth is to make sure that your child brushes and flosses his/her teeth regularly. Because braces often collect pesky food particles, the residue should be removed after each meal to prevent mouth ulcers. The simple flossing tool can help with this process if your child finds traditional flossing too difficult. Not only will taking care of his/her mouth eliminate problems, but they also won’t scare friends away with bad breath.
Apply Orthodontic Wax
- One way to prevent Mouth Ulcer is to apply orthodontic wax to the brackets. Orthodontic wax is similar to beeswax as the wax can be easily pulled off and placed on the brackets. Make sure that you warm the wax in your hands first before sticking the wax to the abrasion. Since the wax is water-resistant, your kid won’t have to worry about the object slipping or breaking down, thus causing a less than pleasant smile.
- Saliva has antibacterial components that will prevent the onset of ulcers in the mouth. Regularly consuming water will stimulate the production of saliva. Because a dry mouth can often worsen the condition, consuming lots of water can also minimize pain in the inner cheeks where an abrasion has been formed near the brackets.
Tips to Manage Pain
Take OTC Pain Relievers
- Known for relieving throbbing headaches, over-the-counter pain pills like acetaminophen, aspirin, and ibuprofen have also been shown to mitigate oral ulcer pain.
Apply Topical Pain Relievers
- Often found at the drugstore, two other great over-the-counter drugs for pain are Anbesol and Orabase. These excellent pain relievers need to be applied throughout the day to maintain optimal effects.
Use Salt Water Rinse
- The most potent saltwater rinse can be made by combining 1/2 teaspoon of salt with 1 cup of warm water. Along with relieving symptoms of a sore throat, saltwater rinse can be great for combating mouth ulcers. The rinse can reduce swelling and kill bacteria. For the best results, the solution should be consumed frequently throughout the day.
Use Antiseptic Rinses
- Although antiseptic rinses are not as inexpensive as saltwater rinses, they still do a great job of removing harmful bacteria from the mouth. The potent antibacterial ingredients in antiseptic rinses can prevent mouth ulcers as well as gum disease.
Apply a Tea Bag
- One of the most natural’s ways to manage pain is to place a warm and soaked tea bag on the sore. Tea is known to contain antiseptic ingredients; therefore, they are great for reducing inflammation and relieving discomfort. This solution also helps to maintain a clean mouth. The same effects can be achieved by using a chamomile bag, which features antiseptic and anti-inflammatory components.
Avoid Certain Foods
- Not eating a certain food is just as important as removing residue from your mouth. Spicy or sour foods may worsen the condition. Foods that are high in acids like tomatoes, soda, and coffee may not be good for your mouth either. Try eating bland foods that are easy to swallow. A great option is yogurt because the food is made with probiotic ingredients protein the mouth against bacteria and ulcers. In general, foods that have a high pH contain nutrients that can help the area feel less painful.
- Stress reduction also relieves ulcer pain. A few stress-relieving activities include exercising, taking a bath, reading, deep breathing, coloring, practicing yoga, journaling, meditating, and receiving a massage. Maintaining a strong circle of family and friends has also been shown to reduce stress on the body in general.
In conclusion, these are the best ways to prevent and treat ulcers in your child’s mouth. For the best solutions, strongly consider consulting with an experienced orthodontist. At Gluck Orthodontist, the office strives to provide “The Gluck Experience” that ensures their patients are educated about all aspects of orthodontic treatment in a fun and safe environment.
Finally, led by board-certified orthodontist Dr. Gluck, the practice specializes in the popular service known as Invisalign. Call today to schedule an appointment with Gluck Orthodontists to learn more about the most effective orthodontic care for your child’s condition.
12 Hacks for a Mouth Ulcer with Braces | FAST FACTS 2020
Dr. Joel Gluck has practiced orthodontics since 1983 when he opened his own office in Nashville. He earned his undergraduate degree at Washington University in St. Louis, and his dental degree at the University of Tennessee. Dr. Gluck then completed an orthodontic specialty residency at the University of Michigan, one of the top five orthodontic training residencies in the country. He also wrote an original thesis and received a Master of Science degree.